- ITSM tools help improve process coordination, Service desk, tech support, and assistance.
- ITSM assists companies in setting and meeting practical expectations for service, which leads to better user satisfaction and clarity.
ITSM is a broad concept that monitors essential IT assistance to all forms of workplace technology, from laptops to servers to mission-critical software programs. In recent times, ITSM or IT service management has played a significant role in arranging the entire breadth of the digital aspect of a company. Let’s delve deeper into this.
What is IT Service Management and Its Scope?
IT teams direct the blanket delivery of IT services to customers using information technology service management, also known as ITSM. IT service management aims to provide all information technology services, which includes:
ITSM is helpful in many ways, like asset management, problem management, resource management, incident management, change and release management, and much more.
- Asset management: Registering and keeping track of everything a customer needs.
- Problem management: Spotting and fixing huge problems with any enterprise.
- Incident management: Helps in registering and processing all customer complaints and requests.
- Resource management: Useful for managing employees’ availability and workloads.
- Change and release management: Includes the smallest and biggest solutions, from replacing a PC to introducing a new software package.
ITSM system is closely related to a framework called as Information Technology Infrastructure Library or ITIL. Both ITIL and ITSM are strongly connected and even used interchangeably.
ITIL is a famous model of ITSM, and it assists businesses in adapting to continuous change and growth. ITIL 4 is the most recent set of standards that guides the team through an IT framework that revolves around customers and organizations. It boosts feedback, usability, and teamwork.
Powerful Benefits of ITSM
ITSM aims to ensure that it should attain the requirement of users and businesses. Due to its advanced features, it delivers incredible benefits like:
- ITSM makes it easy for the IT team to provide a speedy, agile, satisfying response to unexpected events, possible threats, and new opportunities.
- It assists companies in setting and meeting practical expectations for service, which leads to better user satisfaction and clarity.
- ITSM can meet compliance and reduce risk by embedding compliance into IT service management, delivery, and design.
- It helps increase productivity from IT infrastructure by systematically accelerating incident resolution, lowering incidents and problems, and even automatically resolving issues.
- ITSM assist customers in concentrating more on product or service by empowering them with better system performance, lesser service interruption, and greater availability.
ITSM is a real boon for IT departments, empowering more practical, cost-effective service. Hence, it is becoming a crucial part of any organization’s success.
Let’s Discuss Some other Frameworks
1) MOF: MOF stands for Microsoft Operation Framework. It comprises 23 papers describing the methods to design, sustain and deliver IT services. The Prime objective of MOF is to build an environment where IT and business should successfully work to attain operational maturity. It covers everything from implementation to costs.
2) COBIT: COBIT stands for Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies. It provides the methodology to develop, improve and monitor implementation and risk management solutions. The core model of COBIT consists of 40 objectives related to governance and management.
3) TOGAF: It is an acronym for The Open Group Architecture Framework. It tries to establish business goals and corresponds them with software development-related architectural objectives. It was built in 1996 and continued its significance in the epoch of DevOps.
4) Six Sigma: This framework empowers you to focus on your chief objectives, Interpretation, and information gathering.
5) ISO 20000: ISO provides international standards like ISO 20000, which show the criteria for an ITSM framework. It highlights the requirements for the service provider to establish, plan, operate, implement, monitor, review, approve, and maintain SMS. The processes like design, delivery, transition, and improvement of services to attain the agreed service requirements.
6) FitSM: It stands for Federated IT Service Management and was supported by The European Commission. It is an open and compact suite of standards designed to empower successful IT service management. It helps simplify ISO/IEX 20000-aligned framework for service management.
A Look into ITSM Software and Processes
The comprehensive processes and activities of ITSM require a more excellent range of technologies. ITSM software ensures better interaction between a service provider and consumer, and automates service delivery procedures. ITSM tools take assistance from ServiceNow, Axios Systems, and BMC Remedy. ITSM tools help in the following:
- Better process coordination
- Service desk
- Tech support
Let’s discuss some ITSM software:
1) ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus
ManageEngine is comfortable with Linux, Cloud platforms, and Windows servers. It is a service management solution that touches with the standards of ITIL Service Operations. It supplies centralized management and unique insights into IT issues, so enterprises experience low downtime.
2) BMC Software
BMC Helix ITSM is a service management tool of high potential. As it has more than 6500 IT businesses, BMC is a giant, trusted, and user-focused system. BMC has built a robust approach by thoroughly understanding future technologies like AI.
3) Jira Service Management
It is one service management among the leading ITSM applications that provide ITIL-certified issue, incident, requests, change, and configuration management. You can effortlessly supervise your teams’ activities on a single platform, with immediate assistance to your clients and employees as needed.
4)SolarWinds Service Desk
Solarwinds Service Desk is a multi-tenant, cloud-based platform for integrated IT asset management, and the service desk provides the functionality necessary to meet current service management needs. Its standard incident management guarantees incoming requests are structured and allows a productive support desk.
5) ServiceNow IT Service Management
It is an advanced, silo-busting, cloud-based service management solution. With the help of this, you can combine on-premises legacy tools to a single cloud platform, and control shared data and analytics with automated workflows on the Now Platform. It helps in below activities:
- Request management
- Release handling
- Project management
- Issue resolution
- Incident management
6) CA Service Desk Manager:
Broadcom’s CA Service Desk Manager is structured to help IT service desk analysts make every moment count through a unique experience and help provide them with excellent customer service. It assists in incident management, administration of changes, processes, reporting, and automation support. It is easily adjustable and adaptable according to the requirements.
Wrapping It Up
Information technology is an essential aspect of the success of organizations. When IT operations are well-managed and structured, organizations can spend more time on company-specific goals and less time facing and solving unprecedented problems. In such scenarios, ITSM comes into the picture and provides better planning and solutions to achieve success in every possible way.